Jigsaw - A Closer Look
Jigsaw, the mindful approach to PSHE is just that: an original and comprehensive scheme of learning which integrates personal, social, health and economic education with emphasis on emotional literacy, mental health and SMSC, especially spiritual development.
Children are at the heart of Jigsaw
Jigsaw aims to help children know and value who they really are and how they relate to other people in this ever-changing world.
Play the embedded video above.
Adopting a whole school approach - a winning formula
This enables each Puzzle to be launched with a whole school Jigsaw assembly (including one of our original songs), generating a whole school focus and highlighting key learning messages. The children then work through the Pieces (lessons) of that Puzzle at their own level in each year group for the following 6 weeks.
Each Puzzle culminates in an ‘End of Puzzle Outcome’ e.g., a Garden of Dreams and Goals, enabling every member of the school to take part and feel valued.
Weekly celebrations add a focus on specific behaviours or attitudes, helping the learning of the lessons to permeate every aspect of children’s life at school.
What are the benefits of the Jigsaw Programme...
Jan interviewed at a Schools’ Presentations event at Monkey World, Dorset.
…for the children?
- creates learning experiences they look forward to
- establishes a safe learning environment
- offers accurate information
- builds skills essential for life and relationships
- equips them for a diverse world
- gives resilience and inner strength
- develops spiritual peace
…for the teacher?
- short-cuts planning time
- high quality resources
- differentiation ideas
- guides through the most sensitive issues
- enhances children’s concentration
- improves behaviour
- increases children’s learning capacity
Primary School teachers interviewed about Jigsaw PSHE by ScreenPLAY. Also see Jigsaw the Movie for more video.
…for the headteacher?
- comprehensive PSHE programme
- maps SMSC
- contributes to British Values
- consistency, continuity and progression
- diversity, respect, positive behaviour
- assessment process
- assemblies included
…for the PSHE subject leader?
- provides an overall structure of lesson planning and approach for PSHE for the whole school
- gives an assessment framework with attainment descriptors for every Puzzle
- covers all aspects of PSHE
- allows monitoring through Jigsaw Journals
- includes Sex and Relationships Education
- ongoing support from the Jigsaw Team
SMSC and British Valueswith Jigsaw®
Jigsaw does all of this in abundance. SMSC is mapped on every lesson plan and balanced across each year group.
British Values are mapped in separate documents which you can download from this site.
Each lesson plan has an Emotional Literacy / SMSC circle like this one in the top-right corner of the lesson plan to indicate the key areas covered.